Friday, November 29, 2002

There's a good piece in the Spectator, explaining that the people of Afghanistan really are better off without the Taliban, unlike what the Guardian told us would be the case

'Who is this man?’ she demanded. I said that he was the Observer’s chief reporter. ‘How can he say such things?’ ‘Because he hates America,’ I said. ‘He also says that all the Taleban did was to make law out of what had always been the case in rural areas.’ There was uproar. Even the men joined in. They thought that this was really impertinent and offensive. ‘He also says,’ I went on, ‘that there is no need to ban television because there aren’t any.’ ‘Who does he think we are. Of course we’ve got television.’ And that’s true. I’ve watched television all over the country, even in a Khirgiz yurt in the High Pamirs.

Well, I have no idea what that last sentence means, but it sure sounds good.

No comments:

Blog Archive