Saturday, May 17, 2003

Eurovision Song Contest

Adam at the Supermercado Project has a preview of tonight's Eurovision Song Contest. I usually watch the show for its surreal camp goodness, but I may or may not have time to watch it this year. It would be a shame if I missed it, because not only will our favourite Russian schoolgirl lesbians be competing, but I also need to find out whether the opening of border crossings over the Green Line will affect the tradition of Greece giving 12 points to Cyprus and Cyprus giving 12 points to Greece (almost certainly not, I suspect). Plus, there is the annual opportunity to see the people of the Germanosphere demonstrate that they do in fact have senses of humour, as for some reason they tend to take the contest even less seriously than does everybody else. Adam is particularly taken by Austrian entrant Alf Poier, and his truly remarkable lyrics, which I cannot help but repeat.

I like most animals on this earth
But I really prefer little rabbits and bears

Soon all birds and beetles will die
But Adam's in bed with Eve busy reproducing

Rabbits live in the woods
Cats in the meadows
And cockroaches
Live under tiles

Little rabbits have short noses
And kittens soft paws
And Mother Holle likes her wool
From the african dromedary

The difference between animals such as apes and primates
Is no bigger than between noodles and pasta

But whoever wants to know more about animals should study Biology or inform himself on my homepage

Some animals have wings
And others have fins
Some live outdoors
And others in cans

Small rabbits…..


Sadly, I am not capable of knowing whether they are more or less extraordinary in the original German. Informing myself using the resources of the BBC homepage, I can however discover something about the man's personal philosophy.

My song is a hymn for individualism and against collectivism. I am also for balls and against circles, for corners and against edges, for trees and against the forest. In my performance it is not so much the song that counts but the moral attitude behind it. Whoever votes for me is against being standardized and cemented in by 'European Banality'.

Actually that sounds like a pretty good Samizdata Slogan of the day.

Update: Adam also refers to the highly fashionable Estonians who will be singing their song "Eighties coming back". Actually, I wasn't aware that the eighties had happened the first time in Estonia.

Further Update: It has been pointed out to me that the Eurovision song contest is in fact on next week, not this week. Damn. No Russian fake schoolgirl alleged lesbians for me. This is a lesson that you shouldn't believe what you read in the blogosphere.

No comments:

Blog Archive