Thursday, September 18, 2003

Food

Like Josh Chafetz and Eugene Volokh, I am also fond of smoked salmon. However, I don't tend to do much with it. I just prefer eating it straight, with some cheese (Sainsbury's supermarkets in the UK sell a lovely blue brie) and maybe some plain water crackers. Bagels have never done anything for me, although I never encountered them until I was an adult. I have tried smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese the way Josh describes, but I think I prefer it without the bagel.

Normally when I say something like this, people respond by saying "It wasn't a proper New York Bagel. You have to try the ones in the deli on the corner of Seventh Avenue and 79th Street". So if Josh wants to recommend a particular deli, I will try the bagels there next time I am in New York. (I believe the smoking of salmon in Scotland is not that old a practice, but was introduced into Scotland by Russian emigres in the early 20th century. I don't know if they were Jewish, but I suspect probably).

Eugene Volokh's recipe with caramelised onions in tortillas sounds interesting though. I must try that some time.

While on this, I must recommend both the smoked salmon and the soft cheeses from the Australian state of of Tasmania if Josh or Eugene are ever in the antipodes. Really very good indeed.

No comments:

Blog Archive